Pocklington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Pocklington, a market and union town and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The town stands on a small affluent of the river Derwent, within a mile of the Pocklington Canal, on a flat tract near the Wolds, 13 miles by road, but 16½ by railway, E by S of York. It is a seat of petty sessions, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under York, a station on the N.E.R., two banks, an Oddfellows' hall, a library, a free grammar school, and a workhouse. The church is chiefly Early English; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, and a lofty embattled western tower, and was partly restored in 1850; and contains several interesting monuments. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £266 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The churchyard contains an old cross, exhumed and restored in 1835. A Roman Catholic chapel was built in 1863, and is in the Decorated English style, with apsidal chancel. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels. The grammar school was founded in 1515 and rebuilt in 1819. It had Wilberforce as a scholar. The endowment produces about £800 a year. There are four exhibitions at St John's College, Cambridge, two Bishop Crewe exhibitions for Oxford University, and many others. The township is conterminate with the reputed limits of the town, and comprises 2571 acres; population, 2577; of the ecclesiastical parish, 2785. The manor belongs to the Duncombe family. The parish contains also the townships of Yapham, Owsthorpe, and Meltonby. The market day is Saturday, and there are four cattle fairs, on 7 March, 6 May, 5 Aug., and 8 Nov., and on the 9 Nov. there is a statute fair for the hiring of servants. The workhouse, on the road to Bumby, was erected in 1852, and accommodates 113 inmates; an hospital was added in 1878, and extensive improvements were made in 1895. The court-house is in Railway Street, the county police office in Great George Street, and the inland revenue office in Union Street. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in brewing and mailing, twine, rope, and brick making, and in the manufacture of agricultural implements. There are also several corn-mills in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pocklington All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Pocklington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pocklington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pocklington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Pocklington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: