Paul, East Riding of Yorkshire
Paul, Paull, or Paghill, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Hnmber, 2½ miles SW by S of Hedon station on the N.E.R., and 5 ESE of Hull. It has a post office under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Hedon. There are a fort and batteries, erected in 1857, and also a lighthouse on the Hum-ber, constructed in 1836, with a fixed light 36 feet high, visible at the distance of 6 miles. This lighthouse is now in disuse, two others having been built a mile lower down. This is a considerable fishing-place, and is noted for its shrimps. The township comprises 4921 acres of land and 6892 of water and foreshore; population, 531; of the ecclesiastical parish, 822. The parish contains also the township of Thorngumbold. The property belongs chiefly to St John's College, Cambridge, the Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy, and others. Paul holme, now a farmhouse, retains the tower of a mansion of 1234. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Thorngumbold, in the diocese of York; net value, £122 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Effingham. The church is Later English, cruciform, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, and an embattled central tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: