Owthome, East Riding of Yorkshire
Owthome, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the coast, half a mile N of Withernsea railway station, and 4¼ miles NE of Patrington, has at various periods sustained considerable damage from encroachments of the sea, and is now a sea-bathing resort. The township comprises 1493 acres of land and 128 of water; population of township, 82; of the ecclesiastical parish, 894. The parish contains also the townships of Waxholme, South Frodingham, and Rimswell, and its post town is Withernsea, under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Withernsea, An ancient British canoe, horns of the red deer, and portions of trees were not long ago found near the site of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The old church was destroyed by the sea during a storm in 1816, and the same fate befell the vicarage and some cottages in 1844. The new church stands at Rimswell, about 2 miles from the sea, is an edifice of yellow brick with a tower, and was thoroughly restored in 1885. There is also a chapel of ease, erected in 1858. It was partially restored in 1875 and again in 1882, and a chancel was added in 1890.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: