Nunkeeling with Bewholme, East Riding of Yorkshire
Nunkeeling-with-Bewholme, a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, near the coast, 3 miles NW of Hornsea railway station. There is a post office at Bewholrne, under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Seaton. Acreage, 2314; population, 238. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here in 1150 by Agnes, wife of Herbert de St Quintin, and at the dissolution had revenues amounting to about £50. The name Nunkeeling takes its first part from the nunnery, and the rest corruptedly from Chil Inge, signifying "a cold meadow." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £95 with residence. The church stands in the fields, was rebuilt in 1810, succeeded the church of the ancient nunnery, and retains some round pillars of that edifice, together with its ancient font, and with effigies of Sir Andrew de Fauconberg and a lady. There are a chapel of ease, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a, police station at Bewholme.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nunkeeling with Bewholme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nunkeeling)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: