Norton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Norton, a town and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the left bank of the river Derwent, adjacent to Malton, which is situated on the right bank, in the N. R. The station on the N.E.R., though known by the name of Malton, is really in the parish of Norton, but its proximity to the former town, where the railway company have united both towns by an iron-girder bridge for traffic, led to the appropriation of the older name. The parish contains an acreage of 2840, with a population of 3683. By the Local Government Act of 1888, both towns, which were originally combined under one local board, were separated for all purposes, civil as well as ecclesiastical. In addition to the iron bridge already mentioned, Norton communicates with Malton by a stone bridge of two arches towards the east; it occupies conjointly with New Malton the site of a great Roman settlement; was found to contain remarkable Roman relics, noticed in our article on New Malton; originally it consisted of one long, wide, well-paved street, but of recent years the town has extended itself in three directions at right angles to the main street, southwards towards the celebrated Langton Wold of racing fame, which continues to be the training ground for the horses connected with six large training establishments. The parish is governed by an urban district council of nine members, with a separate poor-law union for out-door relief, but contributory to the Malton Union for indoor relief until such time as a new workhouse is built. The old parish church, dedicated to St Nicholas, in the Grecian style, occupies the site of a monastic cell belonging to Old Malton Priory, was rebuilt in 1815 at a cost of £2500, but so imperfect was the material and the execution of the work that for years the roof lias threatened to fall in; and this dilapidated and diminutive edifice was superseded in 1894 by a large and stately structure in the flowing Decorated style of the 14th century, built of Lewisham stone, on a new site more in the centre of the parish, dedicated to St Peter, at a cost of £10,000. Norton has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Malton; a court-house at which petty sessions are held; a bank and many good shops. In contrast to Malton, which is all leasehold under the Earl Fitzwilliam, it is all freehold, and building operations continue to increase yearly. The parish contains also the hamlets of Sutton and Welham, the property in the latter hamlet having recently passed from the Bower family to that of Colonel Legard, who in 1893-94 rebuilt the manor house which was burnt down in 1884. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £238 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. A cemetery, with chapel, opened in 1852 and enlarged in 1886, is near the town and under the control of a burial board.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Norton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Norton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: