North Ferriby, East Riding of Yorkshire
Ferriby, North, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Humber, 7½ miles W by S of Hull, and has a station on the Hull and Selby branch of the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Brough. Acreage, 1007: population of the township, 465; of the ecclesiastical parish, 906. The manor was desolated by the Danes, belonged afterwards to the Mortimers, and passed to the De la Poles and the Bacons. A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded here in 1200 by Eustace de Vesci, became afterwards an Augustinian priory, and has completely disappeared. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross valuer £260. The church is modern, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for North Ferriby:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of North Ferriby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: