North and South Newbald, East Riding of Yorkshire
Newbald, North and South, two townships and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The townships lie about 2½ miles NNE of North Cave, and 2¾ from South Cave station on The Hull and Barnsley railway, and there is a post office, of The name of North Newbald (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, North Cave. Acreage of the townships, 3976 and 1982; population, 627 and 172. North Newbald has a parish council consisting of eleven members. The parish consists of the two townships. Population, 799. The manor of North Newbald belongs to the Harrison-Broadley family, and that of South Newbald to Viscount Galway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £258 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient, cruciform, partly Norman, has a central pinnacled tower, and contains a curiously-carved old font. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: