UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newton upon Derwent, East Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Newton-upon-Derwent, a township, with a village, in Wilberfoss parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Derwent, 5½ miles E of Pocklington, and 3 from Fangfoss station on the N.E.R. Post town, York; money order office, Wilberfoss; telegraph office, Stamford Bridge. Acreage, 1715; population, 204. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishWilberfoss 
Poor Law unionPocklington 
RidingEast 
WapentakeHarthill 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newton upon Derwent from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Newton upon Derwent are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online:

CountyEast Riding of Yorkshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtYO41
Post TownYork