Newport, East Riding of Yorkshire
Newport, a village in Eastrington parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on Market Weighton Canal, 1½ mile NE of Staddlethorpe station on the N.E.R., and 8 miles from Howden, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) There is a large industry in draining; pipes, bricks, and tiles. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic chapels, and a school church.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Howden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newport from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newport-Wallingfen)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Newport are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: