Newland, East Riding of Yorkshire
Newland, formerly a hamlet in Cottingham parish, E.R. Yorkshire, now, by the growth of Kingston-upon-Hull, in great part a suburb of that borough. The most populous portion, containing about 6500 of the whole population of 6940 in 1891, was incorporated in Hull by the extension Act of 1881, and the corporation of Hull in 1895 promoted a Bill in Parliament to include a further portion. The remainder constitutes a ward of the urban district council of Cottingham, to which it returns three members, and is in the Parliamentary Division of Howdenshire. Ecclesiastically, the parts both in Hull and Cottingham constitute one parish, formed in 1862. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York; net value, £300 with residence. The parish church of St John was built in 1833 and enlarged in 1893. There is also the district church of St Augustine.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Sculcoates|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newland)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: