Halberton, a township and a parish in Devonshire. The township lies on the Western Canal, 2 miles SW of Tiverton Junction station on the G.W.R., and 3 E of Tiverton, and has a post and money order office under Tiverton; telegraph office, Sampford Peverill. The parish comprises 7553 acres; population of the civil parish, 1213; of the ecclesiastical, 1238. Building stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £450 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is of the 14th century, was restored in 1887, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with western pinnacled tower, had formerly a chantry, and has still a massive carved screen, an ancient carved oak pulpit, and an interesting font. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels, national schools, and charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Halberton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Halberton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Halberton (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Halberton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.