Nafferton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Nafferton, a township and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 2½ miles from Great Driffield, with a station on the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Driffield. The township comprises 4832 acres; population, 1235. The parish contains also the township of Wansford and the hamlet of Pockthorpe. The ecclesiastical parish is called Nafferton with Wansford. Population, 1463. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £278 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient; was restored in 1870, and the nave and chancel roofs restored, and a tower clock with three dials erected in 1883; has a memorial E window, an embattled western tower, and a restored ancient Norman font. There are Wes-leyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, Conservative and Liberal clubs, and an Ancient Shepherds' hall. Near the station is an extensive corn mill, fitted with modern machinery, and in the hamlet of Pockthorpe is a place called Danes' Graves, supposed to be a Danish cemetery. There is an endowed school.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Nafferton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Nafferton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: