Millington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Millington, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds, near Ermine Street, 2½ miles NNE of Pocklington railway station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Little Givendale, and its post town as Pocklington, under York. Acreage, 2511; population, 193. A place about half a mile NE of the village contests, with Londesbrough and other places, the claim of having been the Delgovitia of the Romans, and it has yielded coins, "tiles, tessellated pavements, foundations of a circular temple, and other relics of Roman date. Vast earthworks from 60 to 90 feet high, enclosing an area of over 4000 acres, are in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Great Givendale, in the diocese of York; net value, £202 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient but good, and has a small tower. There is a slightly endowed school.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Millington:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Millington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: