Meux, East Riding of Yorkshire
Meux, a township in Wawne parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, 3½ miles E of Beverley station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 1409; population, 76. The name was taken from Meaux in Normandy by Norman settlers. A Cistercian abbey was founded here in 1140 by William Ie Gros, Earl of Albemarle; was colonized from Fountains Abbey; and is now represented by part of a wall and traces of the moats. Several interesting relics, including monumental stones, a tessellated pavement, a key, a knife, and a ring, have been found in the ruins. There is a chapel of ease erected in 1872.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Meux from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Meux, or Meaux)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: