Melton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Melton, a township in Welton parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, near the Hull and Selby railway and the Humber, 1½ mile WNW of Ferriby station on the N.E.R., and 8¼ miles W of Hull. It has a post office under Brough; money order office, Welton; telegraph office, Ferriby North. Acreage, 797 of land, 432 of tidal water, and 664 of foreshore; population, 171. There are brick and tile works. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Welton, in the diocese of York.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Sculcoates|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Melton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Melton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Melton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: