Marton (South Skirlaugh), East Riding of Yorkshire
Marton, a village and a township in South Skirlaugh parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, 6 miles N of Hedon, and half a mile from Barton Constable station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order office, Skirlaugh; telegraph office, Bnrton Constable (R.S.) Acreage of township, 946; population, 70. The property belongs to the Constable family. There are an iron and brass foundry, an agricultural implement manufactory, and a Roman Catholic chapel. An ancient chapel of ease stood at Kirkgarth, but went to ruin.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marton (South Skirlaugh) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Marton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: