Market Weighton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Market Weighton and Arras, a market-town and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 10 miles W of Beverley and 18 from Hull, with a junction station on the N.E.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 5882; population, 1867. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of thirteen members. A market for provisions is held every Wednesday, and one for cattle, sheep, and pigs on alternate Tuesdays, and fairs are held on 14 May and 25 Sept. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £247 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop. The church is a building in the Transition Norman style, and was restored in 1871. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, a cemetery under the control of a burial board of nine members, a police station, and a temperance hall. The Earl of Londesborough is lord of the manor. There are a large brewery and steam corn mills and several charities. The Market Weighton Canal, 10 miles in length, connects Market Weighton with the Humber.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Market Weighton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Market Weighton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: