Mappleton and Rowlston, East Riding of Yorkshire
Mappleton and Rowlston, two hamlets, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The hamlet of Mappleton lies on the coast, 3 miles SSE of Hornsea station on the N.E.R. Acreage of township, 1912; population, 179; of the ecclesiastical parish, 371. The parish contains also the hamlets of Rowlston and Great Cowden, and part of the township of Great Hatfield, and it has a post office under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Hornsea. The. living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £215 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of the East Riding. The church is an edifice in the Early English and Decorated; styles, with tower and spire, restored in 1855-56, and contains in a N chantry a white marble altar-tomb to Mr Brough, Marshal of the High Court of Admiralty, who presided at the trial of Admiral Byng. The sea is encroaching, on the land, and threatens eventually to swallow up the church. There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1890.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Mappleton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Skirlaugh|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Mappleton and Rowlston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Mappleton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: