Lowthorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire
Lowthorpe, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the Hull and Scarborough railway, 4½ miles NE by E of Great Driffield. There is a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hull. Acreage, 1961, besides 6 of water; population of the civil parish, 184; of the ecclesiastical, 324. Lowthorpe Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage, with Ruston Parva annexed, in the diocese of York; net value, £130 with residence. The church is ancient; was made collegiate in the time of Edward III. for a rector, six chaplains, and three clerks; consists now of nave and W tower, with ruined chancel; suffered damage by the fall of its roof in 1859, and has since been partially restored. The ruined chancel contains a piscina, an old brass, and two altar-tombs. The churchyard contains an old cross, said to have been brought from Kilham, and a curious monumental stone, with carvings to represent a family offspring.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Lowthorpe:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lowthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: