Long Riston, East Riding of Yorkshire
Riston, Long, a parish, with a village, in the E.R. Yorkshire, 4 miles from Skiriaugh railway station, and 6 ENE of Beverley. It has a post office under Hull; money order and telegraph office, North Skiriaugh. Acreage, 1831;. population, 292. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Bethell family of Rise Park. Riston Grange is the chief residence. The living is a rectory, annexed to Hornsea, in the diocese of York. The church was restored in 1851, and again in 1881. It is a small building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chance!, nave, S porch, and an embattled western tower. The churchyard was enlarged in 1891. There are Wesleyau and Primitive Methodist chapels and an endowed school.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Long Riston:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Long Riston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: