Lockington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Lockington, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Hull and Scarborough railway, 6 miles NNW of Beverley, and has a station on the railway, and a post and money order office under Hull; telegraph office, Cherry Burton. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Acreage, 2804; population, 488; of the ecclesiastical parish, 427. The parish contains also part of Aike township. The manor belongs to Lord Hotham. A canal, formed by the Hotham family, goes 2 miles from Lockington to the river Hull. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £478 with residence. The church is ancient but good, and includes a mortuary chapel containing monuments and armorial bearings of the Constable family. It was restored in 1893. The churchyard was enlarged in 1891. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lockington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Beverley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Lockington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lockington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lockington (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lockington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: