Lissett, East Riding of Yorkshire
Lissett, a township-chapelry, with a small village, in Beeford parish, E.R. Yorkshire, near the coast, 4¼ miles ESE of Lowthorpe railway station, 4 S of Burton Agnes station, 4 N of Lissett, and 8 by road from Bridlington. It has a post office under Hull; money order office, Beeford; telegraph office, Lowthorpe. Acreage, 1152; population, 105. The living is A perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Beeford, in the diocese of York. The chapel, dedicated to St James, is of the early part of the 13th century, contains a round chancel arch and a Norman font, and was completely restored in 1876.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Lissett:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lissett from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Lissett)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Lissett are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: