Leven, East Riding of Yorkshire
Leven, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 4½ miles E by N of Arram railway station, and 6 NE of Beverley; is connected by a canal, westward, with the river Hull; comprises two streets-crossing at right angles; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hull. The township comprises 3674 acres, besides 38 of water and foreshore; population, 769. The parish contains also the township of Hempholme. Population of the civil parish, 858; of the ecclesiastical, 892. The manor belongs to the Bethell family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £823 with residence. The church has an open-timbered roof, a fine E window, and a tower, and is good. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, a temperance hall, and a county police station.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Leven:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Leven are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: