Leckonfield or Leconfield, East Riding of Yorkshire
Leckonfield or Leconfield, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile W of Arram railway station, and 3 miles NNW of Beverley, and gives the title of Baron to the Wyndhams. The parish contains also the hamlet of Arram, and has a post office under Beverley; money order and telegraph office, Cherry Burton. Acreage, including Arram, 3624; population, 312. The manor belongs to Lord Leconfield, who is the chief landowner. A seat of the Druids was here; gave rise to the name Leckonfield, which etymologically signifies " the cromlech in the gloom;" and was succeeded, first by a chapel for the early Christians, afterwards by a palace for the occasional use of the Archbishops of York. A stately castle of the Percys, Earls of Northumberland, also stood here; it was taken down in 1600, and has left traces of its moat on the W of the village. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Scorborough, in the diocese of York. The church is a plain building in the Gothic style.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: