Gittisham, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Otter, 3 miles SW by W of Honi-1 ton station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office under Honiton; money order and telegraph office, Honiton. Acreage of the civil parish, 2344; population, 398; of the ecclesiastical, 366. The manor belonged once to the Jocelines; passed to the Lomens, the Willingtons, the Beaumonts, and the Putts, and belongs now, with most of the parish, to the Marker family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £300 with residence. The church is of the 14th century, consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with western embattled tower, and contains a Norman font and several fine monuments to the Beaumonts and the Putts. There are charities about £180, and a free school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gittisham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gittisham)
Online maps of Gittisham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.