Leavening, East Riding of Yorkshire
Leavening, a village and a township in Acklam parish, E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands at the W foot of the Wolds, 6 miles SSW of New Malton, and has a post and money order office under York; telegraph office, Kirkham. Abbey. The township comprises 1292 acres; population, 339. The manor belongs to Lord Middleton. Much of thfr land is disposed in market gardens. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and church services are held in the school-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Leavening from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Leavening)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: