Laxton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Laxton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile from the river Ouse, a quarter of a mile from Saltmarshe railway station, 3 miles S of Eastrington and 3½ SE by E of Howden, and has a post office under Howden; money order and telegraph office at the railway station. The township comprises 1118 acres; population, 244. The manor belongs to the Saltmarshe family. The ecclesiastical parish is larger than the township, and was constituted in 1858. It includes the townships of Laxton, Cotness, Metham, Saltmarshe, and Yokefleet. Population, 640. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £275 with residence. Patron, .the Archbishop of York. The present church, erected in 1876 by public subscription, is a building in the Early English style. The chancel of the old church is used as a mortuary chapel. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Laxton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Laxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: