Langtoft, East Riding of Yorkshire
Langtoft, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds, 6 miles N by W of Driffield railway station. Post town, Driffield; money order office, Kilham; telegraph office, Driffield. The township comprises 3584 acres; population, 565. The parish contains also the township and parochial chapelry of Cottam, and comprises 6174 acres; population, 664. The manor belongs to the Gibbons family. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Cottam, in the diocese of York; net value, £364 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church has a tower of the 13th century, a nave, a chancel with sedilia, and a porch of much later date, and was restored in 1862. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and also a church at Cottam containing an ancient font. Peter de Langtoft, the monkish poet and historian of the 14th century, was a native. Two great floods did a large amount of damage to the village-the first in 1657, a record of which has been found carved on a stone in the end of a house, and the second in 1892, when, although no lives were lost, several houses were entirely swept away.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Langtoft are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: