UK Genealogy Archives logo

Knapton, East Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Knapton, a township-chapelry in Wintringham parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the river Derwent, adjacent to the York and Scarborough railway, 6½ miles NE by E of New Malton. It has a station on the railway, and there is a post office at the station, under York; telegraph office, Rillington. Acreage, 2892; population, 221. Knapton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York; net value, £80. There is no parsonage nor resident curate. The church is ancient, and has a bell-turret. There is a dissenting chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyYorkshire 
Civil parishWintringham 
Poor Law unionMalton 
RidingEast 
WapentakeBuckrose 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Knapton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Knapton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online:

CountyYork
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtYO26
Post TownYork