Kirkburn and Battlebum, East Riding of Yorkshire
Kirkburn and Battlebum, a village, a township, and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence in a vale at the foot of the Wolds, 2 miles S of Garton railway station, and 4 SW by W of Great Driffield, and has a post office under Driffield; money order and telegraph office, Driffield. The township contains the hamlet of Battle-burn. Acreage, 1410; population, 152. The parish includes also the townships of Southbum, Eastburn, and Tibthorpe. Acreage, 6221; population, 535. The manor belongs to the Sykes family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, .El 7 6 with residence. The church is mainly Norman, has a W tower, was restored in 1856, and contains a carved screen and a very ancient font. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: