Gidleigh or Gidley, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Teign, and on the NE border of Dartmoor, 6 miles WNW of Moreton Hampstead station on the G.W.R., and 16½ W of Exeter. It includes the hamlets of Chapel and Forder, and its post town and money order and telegraph office is Chag-ford. Acreage, 3507; population, 129. The manor belonged, from the Conquest to the time of Edward II., to the family of Prous, and a picturesque fragment of a Norman castle which was their seat still stands near the church. Gidleigh Park is a seat in the neighbourhood, and has grounds and environments of magnificent scenery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £90 with residence. The church is old but neat;, and comprises nave, chancel, and aisles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gidley Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gidleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gidley (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Gidleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cForder (Gidleigh)
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.