Kirby Grindalyth, East Riding of Yorkshire
Kirby Grindalyth, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Wolds, 3½ miles ENE of Wharram railway station, and 8 ESE of New Malton. It has a post office under York; money order office. West Lutton; telegraph office, Eillington. Acreage, 4526; population, 225. The parish contains also the townships of Thirkleby and Duggleby. Acreage, 7583; population, 449. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, net value, £200. The whole of the church, with the exception of the Norman tower, was rebuilt in 1878, and it is one of the most beautiful in the county.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirby-Grindalyth St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Malton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirby Grindalyth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kirby-Grindalyth (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: