Kilham, East Riding of Yorkshire
Kilham, a town and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the Wolds near the source of the river Hull, 3½ miles NNW of Lowthorpe railway station, on the N.E.E., and 5½ NE by N of Great Driffield; consists chiefly of one straggling street above a mile long, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Driffield. The parish comprises 8176 acres; population, 1039. The manor belongs to the Earl of Londesborough. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £237 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is mainly Early English, has a beautiful Norman door and a massive tower, and contains sedilia, a piscina, and monumental tablets to the Andersons, the Thomsons, and others. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, a grammar school with £30 a year from endowment, a cemetery, and a temperance hall.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Kilham:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Kilham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: