Germans-week or Week St Germans, a parish in Devonshire, on an affluent of the river Tamar, 4 miles from Hallwill station on the L. & S.W.R., and 13 N by W of Tavistock. Post town, Lew Down; telegraph office, Halwill railway station. Acreage, 2625; population, 211. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £100 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is small and ancient, comprises chancel, north transept, and tower with five bells, and was restored in 1872-75. There are Baptist and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Germans-Week St. Germanus|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Germansweek from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Germans-Week (St. Germanus))
Online maps of Germansweek are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.