Humbleton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Humbleton, a village, a township, and a parish, in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3½ miles W of the sea-coast, and 5 NE by N of Hedon railway station, and was originally called Humel's Town. Acreage, 1478; population, 152. The parish contains also the townships of Fitling, Danthorpe, Elstronwick, and Flinton, and its post town is Hull; money order office, Preston; telegraph office, Hedon. The manor belongs to Lord Hotham. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Elstronwick, in the diocese of York; gross joint value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, has a clerestoried nave and embattled tower, contains an altar-piece after .Raphael, and was thoroughly restored in 1888-89. A school has £80 a year from endowment left in 1718; the present school was erected in 1880.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Humbleton:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Humbleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: