Huggate, East Riding of Yorkshire
Huggate, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds, 4½ miles from Wetwang station on the N.E.R., and 7 NE of Pocklington, and has a post office under York; money order office, Warter; telegraph office, Pocklington. The parish comprises 7007 acres; population, 463. The manor belongs to the Jessop family. Danish earthworks and numerous barrows are on the hills, and there is a well nearly 350 feet deep. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £523 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1864, and has a tower and spire. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Huggate St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Pocklington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Huggate:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Huggate from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Huggate (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Huggate are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: