Howsham, East Riding of Yorkshire
Howsham, a township in Scrayingham parish, E. R Yorkshire, on the river Derwent, adjacent to the York and Malton railway, 6½ miles SSW of New Malton, and 3 from Kirkham Abbey station on the N.E.R. Post town, York; money order office, Stamford Bridge; telegraph office, Kirkham Abbey. Acreage, 2151; population, 199. The Strickland family are lords of the manor. The property belonged to Kirkham priory, was given at the dissolution to the Eures, and passed to the Bamburghs and the Cholmleys. Howsham Hall was built by Thomas Bamburgh out of the materials of the old priory, is now the residence of the Cholmleys, and is a Quadrangular edifice in the Tudor style, in a small park on the left bank of the river Derwent. A stone bridge is here over the Derwent. The living is annexed to the rectory of Scrayingham; joint net value, £410' with residence. Patron, the Crown. A church was built at Howsham in 1860 at a cost of nearly £3000 by Mrs Cholm-ley, as a memorial of her husband, the late Col. Cholmley y is in the Geometrical or Middle Pointed style, and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: