Hotham, East Riding of Yorkshire
Hotham, a village and a parish in E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on Ermine Street, 3 miles NW of South Cave, and 1½ mile N from North Cave railway station, and has a post office (R.S.O.) under Brough; money order and telegraph office. North Cave. The parish comprises 2826 acres; population, 332. Hotham Carr and Hotham Moor are included in the parish. The manor belongs to the Cli-therow family of Hotham Hall. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net value, £202 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient and good, and has a tower. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hotham St. Oswald|
|Poor Law union||Howden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Hotham:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hotham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hotham (St. Oswald))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hotham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: