UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hornsea with Burton, East Riding of Yorkshire

Historical Description

Hornsea-with-Burton, a township and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The township stands at the terminus of the Hull and Hornsea railway, three-fourths of a mile from the sea, and 16 miles NE of Hull. It is mentioned in Domesday Book, and figures in records of the 13th century; was long a seat of country trade, with a weekly market; is now a favourite bathing resort for the people of Hull, Beverley, and the surrounding country; is governed by a local board of twelve members; has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hull, and a station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 2992 of land, 324 of water, and 135 of foreshore; population, 2013. The church is chiefly of the early part of the 15th century; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; stands over a vaulted crypt, said to have been at one time used as a receptacle of smuggled goods; and contains an alabaster tomb of 1430, of Anthony S. Quentin, the last rector. The tower has been partly rebuilt, and a lofty spire which surmounted it fell down in 1713. The church was thoroughly restored in 1867 under the direction of the late Sir Gilbert Scott, R.A. A hiring fair is held on the first Monday after Martinmas day. Fine scenery lies around the town. The sea has been making great encroachments in the neighbourhood. It carried completely away, upwards of a century ago, a village called Hornsea Beck; and has rendered the shore a broad band of loose, heavy, sloping sands, stretch ing beneath a line of cliff, and left bare for a considerable distance at low tides. The pier, 350 yards long, was partly destroyed in 1880 by a brig which came into collision with it, and has not since been restored. An opening to the sands, in front of the town, is called Hornsea Gap. A lake, about 1¾ mile long, three-fourths of a mile wide, and covering about 436 acres, lies W of the town, bears the name of Hornsea Mere, has a depth in some parts of about 10 feet, and abounds in pike, perch, and eels. It is dotted with small wooded islands. The manor belongs to the Bethell family. The living is a vicarage, united with Long Riston, in the diocese of York; net value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 2386. There are Congregational, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels, a cemetery, public rooms comprising a concert hall and committee and reading rooms, and a children's convalescent home. There are also police, coastguard, and lifeboat stations, and a Board of Trade rocket life-saving apparatus.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: