Holmpton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Holmpton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in E.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, 3½ miles E by N of Patrington railway station, and 3j- from Withernsea railway station, where there is a post office. Acreage of township, 1874 of land, and 62 of water and foreshore; population, 195; of ecclesiastical parish, 130. Holmpton Hall, rebuilt in 1866, is the seat of the Parker family. There are excellent sands. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £89 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a small but substantial edifice, whose walls are 4 feet thick, with a tower, contains a Norman font, and a monument by Rossi of 1820; it was restored in 1875. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, also a coastguard station.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Patrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Holmpton:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holmpton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Holmpton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Holmpton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: