Hilston, East Riding of Yorkshire
Hilston, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, 9 miles NE by E of Heddon, and 7 from Rye Hill station on the N.E.B. Post town, Hull; money order office, Roos; telegraph office, Withernsea. Acreage, 554; population, 38. The Clifford-Constable family are lords of the manor. The living is a rectory, united to that of Tunstall in Holdemess, in the diocese of York; gross joint value, £190 with residence. Patrons, the Archbishop of York and Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart., alternately. The church is in the Transition Norman style, and was rebuilt in 1862 by the late Sir Tatton Sykes. A brick octagonal tower stands on Hilston Mount, was built in 1762, and is 62 feet in circuit and 50 high.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hilston St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Patrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Hilston:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hilston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hilston (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hilston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: