Hilderthorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire
Hilderthorpe, a township in Bridlington parish, E.R. Yorkshire, on the coast, 1 mile S of Bridlington Quay, from which it is separated by the harbour. It has a post and money order office (T.S.O.) under Bridlington Quay; telegraph office, Bridlington Quay. Acreage, 429 and 96 of tidal water and foreshore; population, 1736. There is a mission church. The township is frequented in summer for sea-bathing. Hilfield or Hillfield, a parochial chapelry in Dorsetshire, 3 miles ENE of Evershot station on the G.W.R., and 8½ NW by N of Cerne Abbas. Post town, Dorchester; money order and telegraph office, Evershot. Acreage, 1599; population, 133. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; value, £75. Patron, the Vicar of Sydling. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hilderthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hilderthorpe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hilderthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: