Hessle, East Riding of Yorkshire
Hessle, a small town and a parish in Sculcoates union, E.R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the Humber, 4½ miles W by S of Hull, on the Hull and Selby railway, with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Hull. The parish comprises 2731 acres of land, and 1636 of tidal water and foreshore, and is partly in the county borough of Kingston-upon-Hull; population of the civil parish, 2892; of the ecclesiastical, 3118. The manor belonged to the Stutvilles, was given by them to the canons of Watton, passed to the Wakes, and is now the property of the Sykes. Hesslewood, Tranby Lodge, The Cliff, Tranby House, and The Mount, are chief residences. There are two whiting manufactories. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £327 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was restored and enlarged in 1869, and is very good. There are Primitive Methodist, Free Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, a room for Plymouth Brethren, a cemetery of 2 acres under the control of a burial board, and an institute and reading-room.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hessle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: