Heslington, East Riding of Yorkshire
Heslington, a village and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 2 miles from York station on the G.N. and N.E. railways, with a post office under York; money order office, Heslington Road; telegraph office, Fulford. Acreage of the parish, 2644; population, 477. Heslington Hall belonged to the Heskeths, passed to the Yarburghs, is a fine specimen of Tudor architecture, and is said to have been built for the reception of Queen Elizabeth when visiting the north. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, , £285 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church, built in 1858, is in the Gothic style, consists of chancel, nave, and western tower, with spire. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The lord of the manor is chief landowner. Various antiquities have been found in a gravel pit in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Heslington St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Heslington:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Heslington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Heslington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: