Heslerton, East Riding of Yorkshire
Heslerton, a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire, 9 miles NE by E of New Malton. It has a station on the N.E.R., and a post and money order office, of the name of West Heslerton, under York; telegraph office, at railway station. It consists of the two townships of East and West Heslerton, and part of Yedingham township. Acreage of East Heslerton, 3586; of West Heslerton, 2955; population of East Heslerton township and ecclesiastical parish, 220; of West Heslerton township, 226; of the ecclesiastical parish, 232. The living of East Heslerton is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £340 with residence. That of West Heslerton is a rectory in the diocese of York; gross value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church of West Heslerton is ancient, with a turret, and contains monuments of the Foulis family, a monument to Sir C. Sykes, and a font of Caen stone presented in 1855 by Lord Downe. It was restored throughout in 1888. A new and beautiful church was built in 1879 at East Heslerton by Sir T. Sykes, at a cost of £12, 000, from designs by Street. In the tower, visible from the road, are the four statues of the early fathers expelled by order of the Dean (Elliot) from the cathedral at Bristol during its restoration. There are two Wesleyan chapels in this parish. Heslerton Hall is the seat of the lord of the manor.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: