Frithelstock, a parish in Devonshire, adjacent to the river Torridge, 2 miles W of Great Torrington, and 1 mile from Torrington station on the L. & S.W.R. It contains the hamlet of Frithelstock Stone. Post town, Torrington, North Devon. Acreage, 3669; population of the civil parish, 431; of the ecclesiastical, 488. A small Augustinian priory was founded here in the time of Henry III. by Robert de Bello Campo or Beauchamp, and was given, along with the manor, by Henry VIII. to Arthur PIantagenet, Viscount Lisle, and the ruins of it still exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £126 with residence. The church is very ancient. It has been restored. There are Baptist and Bible Christian chapels at Frithelstock Stone. Frithelstock Stone. See preceding article. Frithsden. See FRIESDEN. Frithville or Boston East, a parish of scattered farmhouses in Lincolnshire, 4½ miles N from Boston. Post town, Boston; money order and telegraph office, Sibsey. Acreage, 4191; population of the civil parish, 648; of the ecclesiastical, 1491. In 1880, by order of the Local Government Board, a detached portion of this parish was transferred to Sibsey, and detached portions of Sibsey, Boston Fen allotment, and Fishtoffc Fen allotment, were annexed to Frithville. The land was all reclaimed from a state of fen so late as 1812. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Car-rington, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint net yearly value, £270. Patron, the .Bishop of Lincoln. The church, erected in 1821, is an edifice of brick. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Frithelstock St. Mary and St. Gregory|
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Frithelstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Frithelstock (St. Mary and St. Gregory))
Online maps of Frithelstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cMilford (Frithelstock)
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.