Hemingbrough, East Riding of Yorkshire
Hemingbrough, a village, a township, and a parish in Howden union, E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, near the influx of the Derwent, 1 mile SE of Cliff, 4 miles ESE ofSelby, has a station on the N.E.R., and probably occupies the site of a Roman fort or station; was once a market-town; and has a post and money order office under Howden; telegraph office, Selby. The township comprises 1123 acres of land and 21 of tidal water and foreshore; population of the township, 507; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1673. The parish contains also the townships of Menthorpe-with-Bowthorpe, Brackenholme-with-Woodall, Osgodby, South Duffield, and Cliff-cum-Lund, with Newhay and Barlby. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; gross value, £180 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good; has a central tower and spire 191 feet high, figuring beautifully in the landscape; shows fine architectural details, both externally and internally; was collegiate from 1426 till the Reformation; and contains a screen, an altar-tomb, and several monuments; the chancel was restored in 1886. The vicarage of Barlby is a separate benefice. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hemingbrough St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Howden|
|Wapentake||Ouse and Derwent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Hemingbrough:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hemingbrough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hemingbrough (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: