Harpham, East Riding of Yorkshire
Harpham, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village lies 1 mile N of Lowthorpe station on the N.E.R., and 5¼ miles NE of Great Driffield; was the "birthplace of St John of Beverley, and has a post office under Hull; money order and telegraph office, Lowthorpe. The township comprises 2258 acres; population, 208. The manor has belonged to the St Quintins from the Conquest. The lord of the manor is the chief landowner. The living is annexed to the rectory of Burton Agnes, in the diocese of York; net value, £475 with residence. The church is ancient, with a tower; the chancel was partly rebuilt in 1827, and it has stained glass windows with the arms and the pedigree of the St Quintins, and contains three brasses with effigies, a stone coffin, several monuments to the St Quintins, and a very curious font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Driffield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with various Archives, Local Studies, and Family History Societies have the following parish records online for Harpham:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harpham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Harpham)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Harpham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: