Goodmanham or Godmanham, East Riding of Yorkshire
Goodmanham or Godmanham, a village, a township, and a parish in the E.R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence at the SW verge of the Wolds, 1¼ mile NE of Market Weighton railway station; is the Godmundingaham of Bede; was the site of the chief pagan temple of North-umbria, destroyed by Coifi, the high priest of the pagan religion of York, on his conversion to Christianity in the time of King Edwin; and is surrounded by substructions in the soil, which indicate it to have been anciently a place of note. The parish comprises 3028 acres; population, 315. Post town, Market Weighton, under Brough. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York; net yearly value, £550 with residence. The church is mainly Norman, is thought to have been built with materials from the ancient pagan temple, and is good. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for the East Riding of Yorkshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following East Riding newspapers online: