Fillegh, a parish in Devonshire, near the river Bray, with a station on the G.W.R., 196 miles from London, and 3¼WNW of South Molton. It has a post and money order office under South Molton-, telegraph office, South Molton. Acreage, 2102; population of the civil parish, 292; of the ecclesiastical, with East Buckland, 403. Castle Hill is the seat of Earl Fortescue, and a very stately edifice; stands on a wooded eminence, crowned with an artificial structure in form of a ruined castle, and has fine gardens, shrubbery, and deer-park. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of East Buckland, in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £204 with residence. Patron, Earl Fortescue. The church was rebuilt in 1732, has an old tower, and contains many handsome monuments to the Fortescues. It was well restored in 1878 by Earl Fortescue. There is a suite of almshouses near a model farm. Filley. See PHILLEIGH.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Filleigh St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Filleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Filleigh (St. Paul))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.